Are you having trouble with your taillight? Have a hard time determining how much they’ll cost you to install? The taillight is very helpful for the driver. The rear edge of the vehicle provides other drivers with a good impression of the size and shape of the vehicle.
It will help you avoid a collision with other vehicles from behind when you are driving in heavy rain or foggy weather. Sometimes, this life-saving light breaks or fuses. We need to fix them as early as possible. Unfortunately, most people do not know the cost of fixing them.
How Much Does it Cost to Fix a Tail Light?
If you need to change the tail light lens, fix the wiring, or assemble new things into the tail light, the estimated cost for 2024, to fix a tail light is around $150 to $1,500. Labor costs and equipment quality determine the cost.
In case your tail light bulb burns out, repairing it typically costs about $20 to $100. (According to 2024 Data)
Tail Light Repair Cost Summary
It depends on 4 things to fix a tail light, such as bulb, lenses, wiring, and rewiring a brake light wire cost. Here is the complete list of repairing costs of a taillight.
|Tail Light Repair Cost||$150-$1,500|
|Tail Light Bulb Cost||$20-$100|
|Tail Light Lenses||$150-$800|
|Tail Light Wiring Cost||$70-$120|
|Brake Light Rewire||$80-$100|
How Much Does it Cost to Replace a Tail Light in 2024?
There are 2 types of costs to replace a tail light, one professional cost and another DIY cost. All the details and costing are given below:
Formula-1: Professional’s Method to Save Time
The cost of replacing an assembly varies from car to car. For a luxury car, the price goes higher than you can imagine. The cost of labor is a big issue when you hire a mechanic. Local mechanics charge less than dealerships.
In 2024, it will cost anywhere from $20 to $100 to replace a tail light bulb. The cost of a new backlight assembly at an automobile dealership or body shop ranges between $200 and $2,000. Labor can charge anywhere from $60 to $200 to fix a tail light.
It will save you time for sure. Because I installed an auxiliary port in my car by hiring a professional, it saves a lot of time. Hiring someone to replace a tail light can be a wise decision too if you can’t do it yourself.
Formula-2: DIY Method to Reduce Tail Light Cost
You can easily change your tail light bulb by seeing tutorials available on the web or on YouTube. It will cut your cost in half. It takes less than two hours to finish.
By doing it yourself, the average cost to fix a backlight is around $30 to $250 per assembly. Also, know how I saved a lot of money by buffing out a scratch on my car a few weeks ago.
Two Common Factors of Tail Light Fixing Cost
When you spend you need to know the factors that affect the cost. Those factors are responsible for the cost. If you identify these factors, you can easily differentiate the cost. You can also able to reduce costs.
Pricing a tail light is mainly determined by two factors. As follows:
- Equipment Cost: Equipment costs vary according to brand and model. There are different parts that you need for different car models. As a result, the price will not be the same for every model.
- Labor Cost: Here labor cost means the technician cost who fixes the light for you. The location and reputation of the repair shop play a role in the cost of labor.
How Much Does it Cost to Replace a Tail Light Bulb?
The tail light primarily uses two kinds of bulbs. Halogen and LED lights. How much are tail light bulbs? It costs between $4 and $6 per set to replace a halogen tail light. The replacement cost for LED tail lights is between $5 to $7 each in the auto shop.
Taillights Bulb Cost Summary
A complete list of prices and the latest cost of tail light bulbs are given below:
|Bulbs Name||Price Range (per unit)|
How Much Does a Tail Light Lens Replacement Cost?
There are many functions within a tail light lens, including both the brake lights and turn signal indicators. People also called it a tail light cover. Sometimes it takes a hit accidentally and breaks the plastic.
During hazy or cloudy weather, the taillights will be out of alignment due to moisture inside the lens. Therefore, you need to replace the rear light cover right away.
The cost of replacing tail light lenses generally varies from $150 to $800.According to the Auto Market Data, 2023
If you still have the question on your mind how much does it cost to replace a tail light cover? To be honest some tail light covers are extremely expensive since they contain LED bulbs and circuit boards.
Bonus Tips: You can turbo your car to boost up the ultimate speed, here is the exact process we describe, follow the steps here.
How Much Does it Cost to Fix Tail Light Wiring?
Sometimes our taillight wiring gets damaged. You can finish this work in an hour very easily. However the wiring part has some critical work to do. You need to be careful when you’re doing this.
You can hire a technician which will increase your cost. An average tail light wiring repair cost to hire a professional technician is between $70 to $120 this year.
How Much Does it Cost to Rewire Brake Lights?
Taillights are also known as brake lights. But it’s not true. Installation costs to rewire brake light bulbs are different. All the costs to rewire brake lights are down below
The average price to replace a brake light wire is between $80 to $100. It is estimated that labor costs are between $45 and $55. The cost of parts is between $35 and $45.
How Can I Save Money to Fix the Tail Light 2024?
The best way to save money is to finish the work by yourself. You may not have a vast amount of knowledge about how to replace a broken tail light. There is, however, information available about this subject.
Several tutorials are available about fixing tail lights. Don’t hesitate, just do it. Also know, What are the Benefits of having a Straight Pipe Exhaust? Visit here to know the details about straight pipe exhaust, cost, and installation process.
If you don’t have enough time to finish this work then find a local mechanic. Another good way to save costs is to stay away from the dealer. The average dealer charges 40% to 50% more than a local mechanic shop.
Take a look at the junkyards in your area. If you know where to look, then you can find any kind of parts you need for next to nothing. It will save you a lot of money. Here you can also find a solution about how you can paint your car rims or wheels easily with the estimated cost.
It is better to ask a friend or neighbor for help than to take the light straight to a repair shop if you are not familiar with how to replace the light.
What are the Common Problems with Tail Light, Wiring, Bulb, and Tail Light Cover?
A filament is the main component of a bulb. If the filament is broken, you will need to replace the bulb. There may be some issue with the assembly that will prevent the bulb from working. Here are the 6 problems with the backlight.
- A Bad Fuse: A blown fuse might indicate that one or more electrical components are malfunctioning. Basically, a fuse consists of a metal piece enclosed in plastic. Too much current will cause it to break. While it may break, it can still make the electrical system safer since it protects every component.
- Tail Light Fuse: Sometimes a bulb goes out it’s called a fuse. Most of the light goes out and it happens in the rear light. It’s a normal problem.
- Faulty Tail Light Bulbs: Check the tail light bulbs while the fuses are working. Remove the lens of the taillight. In some cases, however, a vehicle’s access panel can be removed. By twisting the bulb out, you can remove it.
- Misfunctoing Socket: Sometimes, your vehicle’s sockets may fail. If moisture enters a socket, it may fail. An incorrectly wired socket may also fail. Once you see that the bulb and fuse both look good, you should remove the bulb from the socket and examine it.
- Problems in Wiring: If your tail light, fuse, and socket are okay but electricity isn’t transmitted. It means you have problems with wiring. It may be wise to have a professional mechanic evaluate your car at this point.
- Control Switch Failure: A faulty switch on the dash can cause taillights to fail. After you have checked the wires, examine the control switch. A single switch usually turns on the headlights, parking lights, and tail lights. In order to test if the switch is working, you will need to remove it from the dashboard. For your help, we try to give you an instruction on, “how to change the tail light bulb and broken tail light cover?”
Relevant Resource: Here is the step-by-step guide on How to Fix Car Tail Lights: 7 Steps (with Pictures)
How to Replace a Tail Light Bulb by Yourself 2024?
It is very easy to change or replace a tail light bulb. All you need is a screwdriver and the steps are simple:
- Step 1: Taillight Housing must be unscrewed. Disconnect the tail lights by removing the screws.
- Step 2: Disconnect the housing from its light. A tail lamp assembly is coming out.
- Step 3: Then disconnect the bulb holder.
- Step 4: It’s time to replace that old bulb.
- Step 5: After fixing the new ones, screwed them.
How to Fix a Broken Tail Light Cover at Home?
You need some simple tools and materials to do the trick. Here’s the trick to fixing a broken tail light cover:
- Take out the plastic lens from the taillights.
- Make sure you are looking at the inside of the tail light.
- Get crack filler ready.
- Give the bottle a good shake.
- Using the syringe, carefully inject the mixture into the crack.
Now I’m answering the most common question people ask about (Tail Light Repair): FAQ
What is a tail light on a car?
When the front headlights are turned on, the taillights are activated. Consequently, they tend to spend most of the day inactive. In dim conditions, such as at night or during heavy rain, they shine less brightly than brake lights.
How much does it cost to replace a headlight bulb?
Prices of headlight covers vary depending on your vehicle’s model and make, as well as the brand. Most covers for washer holes cost between $12 and $35, while a whole set can cost up to $80.
Can I drive without tail lights?
No, absolutely not. It’s against the law. The law prohibits drivers from driving at night without tail lights, brake lights, and blinkers.
What is the difference between brake lights and tail lights?
A brake light is a light on a tail light that indicates braking to other drivers. During nighttime or adverse weather conditions, taillights provide visibility for drivers behind you when the headlights are operated.
Thank You so much for reading the tail light repair cost guide and resources. Don’t forget to share your thoughts about how you fix your tail light in the comment box.
Check out these other interesting articles below:
How Much Does it Cost to Paint a Bumper?
How Much Does it Cost to Remove a Dent?
How Much Does it Cost to Replace Headlight Bulbs?
How Much Does it Cost to Paint a Bumper Cover?
How Much Does it Cost to Bore an Engine & Cylinder?